Little-known gem in Bloomfield
A mail order catalog home provides the foundation for one of Bloomfield’s little-known gems. In this little house are all kinds of treasures – from handcrafted gifts to travel information that allows you to explore this corner of Iowa and beyond.
The Davis County Welcome Center, located at 301 North Washington Street, is three blocks north of Bloomfield’s Courthouse Square on Highway 63. The Welcome Center has its home in a house built in the early 1900’s. It is believed that this home was ordered from a 1910 Sear and Roebuck catalog and was purchased from a kit for about $1800. The house has been restored through the generous donations of materials and thousands of hours of volunteer labor.
What makes this Welcome Center extra special is the people and the choices of gifts, souvenirs and travel information available. Staffed by wonderful volunteers, there are all sorts of treasures to be discovered! Consider the following gems to be found just in the first two rooms:
- Amish jams and jellies
- Angels – tin, colored glass, crystal
- Baby blankets and other baby items – many hand-crocheted
- Barn quilts
- Books by local authors and those with information that is Iowa-related or Davis County-related
- Christmas room – available year-round with all sorts of neat Christmas items
- Clothing – t-shirts, sweatshirts, crinkle tops and vests
- Cookbooks – a huge variety
- Davis County afghans
- Handcrafted items created by local people
- Iowa souvenirs – mugs, ornaments, pencils, magnets, cookbooks
- Prayer shawls – hand-crocheted
- Plus much more!
Then in the third room is a wealth of information about traveling in Iowa. From the south to the north and from the east to the west, there is an abundance of brochures, maps and travel materials to help you find a specific destination or to discover a new one.
Summer hours (May-September) for the Welcome Center include Mondays through Friday 9 AM – 5 PM and Saturdays from 9 AM – 1 PM. Winter hours (October-April) are from 10am-4pm. Closed on Sundays. It is staffed entirely by volunteers.
So whether you are just passing through or you are calling Davis County home, you are invited to explore the Davis County Welcome Center and choose your Iowa treasure!