Historic Bloomfield Driving Tour…
The “Historic Bloomfield Driving Tour” begins at the Davis County Welcome Center, 301 North Washington Street (Highway 63). Stop by to pick up a brochure which will give you directions on where to go on the driving tour and how to listen about each house on your radio.
Weaver House – 102 Weaver Road, Bloomfield
The north side of Bloomfield is graced by the General James B. Weaver home. The age and architecture of the house may not be as significant as the fact that General Weaver built it and once lived there. In recent decades, the home was open as a bed and breakfast. Currently, it is a private residence. Across highway 63 to the west of the home is Weaver Park that was part of the original site. You will see an Iowa Byways interpretive sign that shares insights from the life of General Weaver. The sign is accessed from Washington Street.
The Green Leaf Place – 425 North Madison Street, Bloomfield
Opened for business as a bed and breakfast in 2007, The Green Leaf Place is one of Bloomfield’s important historic properties. Built in the English Tudor style with natural brick and oak trim in 1912 by Henry Clay Taylor, the original lot was 1¾ acre in size and included the presently standing two-story carriage house.
Steckel House – 415 North Madison Street, Bloomfield
Built in 1910 for W. J. and Belle Steckel by Weitz Construction of Des Moines, this Colonial Revival style home was designed like a Revolutionary War era home that Mrs. Steckel admired in Philadelphia. The amazing aspect of this home is that while the exterior façade is very traditional, harkening back to the Georgian style of architecture of colonial America, the interior featured the distinctive arts and crafts style that was sweeping across the county at the time.
Goode House – 402 Goode Street, Bloomfield
Built by L.E. and Rosy Goode, this sprawling Queen Anne inspired farmhouse was completed in 1910. The barn, directly beyond the house, dates back to 1900 and remains a prominent part of the property. The original farm consisted of 43 acres which was purchased in 1894 for $600.
The iconic Standard Oil Station at 601 West Jefferson Street in Bloomfield has been restored to its 1960’s appearance by Dan Hutchings of Bloomfield. Hutchings purchased the run-down and altered service station in the fall of 2013. He thought it would take a year to restore the “cookie-cutter” building approved by the Standard Oil Company. Instead of a year, it took five years of off-and-on work. The worst part, according to Hutchings, was breaking up and removing the old concrete. Twenty-five small dump truck loads of concrete were taken away.
Wishard House – 406 West Jefferson Street, Bloomfield
The Henry Wishard house at 406 West Jefferson is the only private residence in Bloomfield listed on the National Historic Register.
Findley House – 205 South Dodge Street (Davis County Historical Complex)
Probably the most interesting aspect of this brick home in vernacular style architecture is the person who built it. Dr. William Findley, a pioneer physician and early Davis County settler, came west to practice medicine in Iowa, first in Henry County and then on to the tiny Bloomfield settlement in 1843.
Davis County Courthouse – 100 Courthouse Square, Bloomfield
The original Davis County courthouse was erected in Bloomfield in 1844 for a total cost of $339. The building was 24 by 40 feet and made of logs. By 1851 it was deemed unsuitable for use and a courtroom had to be rented for $100 a year. A Methodist church was eventually used as a courtroom and it was not until 1875 that an election finally authorized the construction of a new courthouse.