Goode House – 402 Goode Street, Bloomfield
Built by L.E. and Rosy Goode, this sprawling Queen Anne inspired farmhouse was completed in 1910. The barn, directly beyond the house, dates back to 1900 and remains a prominent part of the property. The original farm consisted of 43 acres which was purchased in 1894 for $600.
In the prime of his life, L.E. Goode was a highly successful furrier and businessman in the Davis County area. He married Rosy Gravitt in 1891 and years later built a home that could accommodate their ever-growing family. L.E. and Rosy had 15 children, with all but three surviving infancy. If that wasn’t enough, each of the children’s names began with a “D”.
As a man of strong faith, L.E. was a charter member of the Bloomfield Nazarene Church, now the Grace Pointe Church of the Nazarene. He and Rosy hosted many church functions at the house including several large conferences. While many homes of this time period boast a ballroom on the third floor, L.E.’s strong religious convictions did not allow for dancing so instead the children used the large open space of the third floor for roller skating activities.
The home has become a Davis County landmark as it features a large turret and several expansive covered porches. The home has a multitude of leaded and stain glass windows and the original ice door is still located in the kitchen. The property once featured a full orchard and many gardens. The original lily pond can still be found now serving as a flower bed.
Another distinguished quality of the home is that it had a multi-line telephone system like no other at the time. There was a line running to each room of the house and even to the barn. The original Edison telephone still hangs in the front foyer to this day and the original wired switchboard remains in the basement.
L.E. passed away in March of 1933. He had fallen into bad health after losing a substantial portion of his fortune in the stock market crash. Shortly thereafter Rosy was forced to sell several pieces of furniture in order to continue living in the house. A few years later she reluctantly sold the home and moved just a few blocks away. She passed away in the summer of 1962.
In the mid-sixties it served as a boarding house. In the 1970s, Richard and Ione Friend purchased the home and modified its operation to that of a residential care facility. Even while it was a nursing home, Richard meticulously maintained the original structure. In 1998 it sold to Linda and Demetri Gassoumis. They closed the facility after only a couple years in hopes of turning the property into their private residence. Still living in California, the Gassoumis’ began to manage the restoration of the property. After several years, plans changed and the house went on the market.
Diana and Justin Hill purchased the home in January of 2008. They continue interior renovations and will begin exterior renovations in the next several years. This will include returning the structure to its original three-color exterior paint scheme. The couple, both professional musicians, hosts many social and cultural events in the home.